Friday 30 January 2009

Frustrations and others...

Today in my Politics of the MidEast class we discussed some of the historical background of the conflict-torn region. It seemed that countries today are largely basing their relationships on feuds from the past. Iran would like for the US to apologize for injustices done in the past before the two countries can begin working towards truly peaceful relations.

Personally, I think that is silly.

Why? Because what happened in the past... is in the past! Why do people today have to pay for the mistakes of their forefathers? I see no sense in this... Of course, there is the argument that history cannot just be forgotten, but if you want to 'get even' with someone, at least do it with the right people - the ones who were guilty in the first place! Otherwise, I'd never have a friend from Turkey cause I HATE Turkish people who ruled over our lands for 500 years!! Yeah, yeah.. Does it make any sense?? No. People now are different. You can't simply hate others for something they haven't even been part of. If my Turkish friend flat out told me something horrible that I couldn't forgive, okay, maybe I'd hate them later on; but basing my attitudes on intangible, unrelated things of the past is not right.

In an unrelated story, I just saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button and it was indeed curious... it's one of those sad movies that make you cry in the end unless someone makes a silly comment to which you simply burst out laughing and forget the touching moments of the film.... Oh well... It was still a good movie. It made me think a lot about life and love and time.. sigh..

Speaking of time, it's time once again to do some nocturnal work. Love uni life!

No comments: